I stayed up as late as I could tracking Elder Parker's flights well into the night and to be alert in case he called or to read an email in case he was allowed to send one from the mission home once he arrived, but there were no more phone calls and no email and I finally accepted that and went to bed.
The next morning I updated this blog then headed to my sister's house. She asked me if he'd made it safely to Italy and all I could say was "well I think so, and I hope so, but I won’t know for sure until we hear from him! " Then shortly after that I got a call on my cell phone that had way too many numbers but I felt compelled to answer it anyway and it was Elder Parker!!!
His Mission President had let him call home to let us know he'd arrived safe and sound!!!! So I got to talk to him again and he told me PERSONALLY that he had made it safely there!!! What a relief!!
I did not expect that at all!! I thought we'd be lucky to get a snail mail letter (that's how Elder Ryler first communicated from his mission in Japan) or maybe even an email but a phone call?! Wow, that was such a surprise and a shock and a thrill!! Thank you President Toronto!!!
His Mission President had let him call home to let us know he'd arrived safe and sound!!!! So I got to talk to him again and he told me PERSONALLY that he had made it safely there!!! What a relief!!
I did not expect that at all!! I thought we'd be lucky to get a snail mail letter (that's how Elder Ryler first communicated from his mission in Japan) or maybe even an email but a phone call?! Wow, that was such a surprise and a shock and a thrill!! Thank you President Toronto!!!
It was so wonderful to know for certain that he'd made it and was safe and happy and it was just so fun to hear his voice again especially all the way from Italy!! The connection was really good and he sounded great!
He had called our house first but no one was home and I felt so bad about that, because if I'd known I would have stayed home and waited by the phone! But I'm so grateful they let him try my cell phone too!! and now we have a really great message on our home phone that we can listen to again and again! ;o)
Even though it was brief Elder Parker was able to tell me quite a bit, here's that info from my notes...
He will meet his first companion the next morning
His first area is Crotone, which he said is located in the toe area of the boot on the mainland!
He was calling from the Mission Home in Catania
They had started "all the living here stuff" and when he commented that the guy helping them with that process took so long, they told him, oh, that was fast! Apparently the pace is much slower there! lol He said it will be another 3 months before all the paperwork is finalized!
The Senior couple missionaries made them all sandwiches which he said were really good especially after all the airplane food!
He said once they got on the flights with Alitalia Airlines (beginning in NY) it was all in Italian! Even the flight attendants! He said they spoke a little English but not much! He said that was great though!
He was amazed at how much people notice their name tags! Some asked him if they were Jehovah's Witnesses and when they explained the name of our Church and the word "Mormon" came up, they recognized that and said "Oh! Mormone-ay!"
They actually talked to one guy who agreed to come to an English class!
Their MTC teacher Ftlo. Garlick gave them a stack of referrals and Elder Parker was so excited about all the people who are prepared for them! The field is white! D&C 33: 3, 7
One of the Elders from his district in the MTC, Anziano McDaniel, will also be in the same zone with him!
He told us they would stay in the Mission Home that night and leave early the next morning and travel by train to the next point then by ferry to the mainland then by bus to his mission area and at some point meet his new companion aka his "trainer" who would then be with them!
When he had to end the call he said:
"Well I'm safe and I love you and thanks for all you do and please let Dad know because I can only make one call!"
So of course as soon as I hung up I called Jay at work and shared this happy news with him! I’d say we have been very, very blessed to have not 1, not 2 but 3 phone calls in this process!!!
He had called our house first but no one was home and I felt so bad about that, because if I'd known I would have stayed home and waited by the phone! But I'm so grateful they let him try my cell phone too!! and now we have a really great message on our home phone that we can listen to again and again! ;o)
Even though it was brief Elder Parker was able to tell me quite a bit, here's that info from my notes...
He will meet his first companion the next morning
His first area is Crotone, which he said is located in the toe area of the boot on the mainland!
He was calling from the Mission Home in Catania
They had started "all the living here stuff" and when he commented that the guy helping them with that process took so long, they told him, oh, that was fast! Apparently the pace is much slower there! lol He said it will be another 3 months before all the paperwork is finalized!
The Senior couple missionaries made them all sandwiches which he said were really good especially after all the airplane food!
He said once they got on the flights with Alitalia Airlines (beginning in NY) it was all in Italian! Even the flight attendants! He said they spoke a little English but not much! He said that was great though!
He was amazed at how much people notice their name tags! Some asked him if they were Jehovah's Witnesses and when they explained the name of our Church and the word "Mormon" came up, they recognized that and said "Oh! Mormone-ay!"
They actually talked to one guy who agreed to come to an English class!
Their MTC teacher Ftlo. Garlick gave them a stack of referrals and Elder Parker was so excited about all the people who are prepared for them! The field is white! D&C 33: 3, 7
One of the Elders from his district in the MTC, Anziano McDaniel, will also be in the same zone with him!
He told us they would stay in the Mission Home that night and leave early the next morning and travel by train to the next point then by ferry to the mainland then by bus to his mission area and at some point meet his new companion aka his "trainer" who would then be with them!
When he had to end the call he said:
"Well I'm safe and I love you and thanks for all you do and please let Dad know because I can only make one call!"
So of course as soon as I hung up I called Jay at work and shared this happy news with him! I’d say we have been very, very blessed to have not 1, not 2 but 3 phone calls in this process!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment