Sunday, April 4, 2010



In addition to the standard LDS scriptures and the Preach My Gospel guide, missionaries also study these 4 books which are now referred to as "the missionary reference library":
Our Search for Happiness by Elder M. Russell Ballard
Jesus the Christ by Elder James E. Talmage
The missionary reference library is intended to aid full-time missionaries in strengthening their testimonies, increasing their knowledge of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and in preparing to teach.

When Elder Nielsen's older brother began his mission in 2007 I made it a goal to read the missionary reference library too and as of today have only read 2, am working on the 3rd and keep leaving the largest one until last - Jesus the Christ. This is a very deep book of nearly 800 pages and I am only on Chapter 2! It is a lot to take in, I keep a dictionary handy and I have to really concentrate as I read it but I love it already, its a wonderful way to study the life of our Savior. So you can imagine how happy I was to read this in Elder Nielsen's letter last week...

"Oh yeah i forgot to tell you, I finished reading the book Jesus the Christ!!! It was the coolest book!! I loved it! I learned a lot and man i learned that i don't know a lot! It was great though! I love my Savior! I am starting to begin to understand what the Atonement means! There is so much behind it! I love sharing it with everyone! It is so incredible! It is the greatest news ever!!!"

I thought that deserved a post all its own! Jesus the Christ was written by Elder James E. Talmage, he was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the LDS Church from 1911 until his death in 1933. The book is a doctrinal study of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. It is available for purchase at the Church's distribution centers or online. You can also download MP3 audio files and listen to it for free by clicking here.

1 comment: